Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Self-Interview

What is the purpose of this blog?

The purpose of this blog is for me, personally, to improve my science communication skills.  My goal is also to communicate metallurgical knowledge by relating it to something that is much more popular, SPORTS.

Who is the imagined audience(s) of this blog?
My main attended audience is anyone interested in sports and/or metallurgy.  However a comment on one of my previous posts also pointed out that an interested audience could include all types of engineers, forging hobbyists and gamers (ie Tiger Woods video games)

Have my posts matched up with my purpose/audience?  What/who might I be overlooking in defining my purpose/audience this way?

So far I would say that my posts have matched up with my purpose.  The first general post was geered towards my target audience of golfers, and metallurgists but I also felt that I framed my post in such a way to include pretty much anyone who has picked up a club or watched golf on tv.  By defining my purpose this way I will of course overlook many people who have completely no interest in sports, golf, metallurgy, etc. but in the field of communicating science I think it is nearly impossible to engage absolutely everyone.

What can I do to encourage more reader participation with my blog?

In order to encourage more reader participation I can give some more personal experiences that others may be able to relate with, as well as posing certain questions that I myself may have about the material.

How can I expand my audience in this class?  Outside of this class?

I can expand my audience in this class by including some attractive media, such as videos, or perhaps polls.  I can also accomplish this by interacting with other cloggers, whether that be inside of this class or outside.

How would I describe my tone?

I think I would describe the tone of this blog as somewhat informal and laid back.  Although my first post was very informative and less interactive, I plan on encompassing more personal experiences and questions that will most likely drive the tone towards the informal side.

What do I hope to get out of writing this blog?

The main thing I want to get out of this blog is an improvement in my writing and communication skills.  I also want to feel a sense of acomplishment at creating something real that others in the world can appreciate.

What would I like others to get out of it?

I would like others to gain an appreciation of all the metallurgical engineering aspects that are so important in the world of sports.  I would also like readers to enjoy themselves and consider my posts entertaining as well informative.

What are the strengths of my blog/my blogging?

I think the strengths of my blogging are being able to relate engineering material to the everyday person.  Although I feel that when the time comes I am good at being academic I seem to have a switch in my head that allows me to forget most of my knowledge and think like others who may lack knowledge in the field.  Second thought, it could be the booze...   

What are the weaknesses?
The weaknesses that I have shown so far are probably falling into the deficit model of science communication.  I think that my first post on forging/casting was not very engaging with the readers.  I will hopefully improve on that in future posts.
Have I used a deficit model in my writing, or something else?  How would I know?

Haha, well I suppose I may have answered this one in the previous question.  OK! I get it, no more deficit model, I said I'll work on it! Gosh!

How have I characterized (implicitly or explicitly) science, engineering, and/or technology in my blog? 

I think that my blog has characterized science as being an everyday technology that most people take for granted.  I am trying to show people how much engineering goes into everything that we use.



No comments:

Post a Comment